Thursday, June 10, 2010

Something we avoid...

... at my level of training is childbirth. We make sure that the lower qualifications do the deed in delivering a "pink foot" (as we refer to the little tykes in the industry).
its a distinct advantage being Advanced Life Support, and unheard of as an Emergency Practitioner (which I am), but fate and Murphy has a way of bringing you down to earth. In fact its been so many years since I delivered a baby by myself that I wasnt sure i would even remember how to. Boy, does it come back quickly.

On Wed morning, 02h50 to be exact, i received a call from our Emergency Room, stating that a man had come running inside, all frantic and panicky, saying something about his wife in trouble in his car, which is broken down just a few blocks away.
So.... I duly called for an ambulance, and responded out there in my response vehicle, not sure what to expect, but was definitely not prepared for what I found.
I came across the vehicle, parked at a stop street just two blocks from the hospital, with the husband and a few onlookers looking very nervous.

i peered inside the car, and found a lady lying on the plush leather back seat, crying in pain, and a little head starting to crown!!!!!!!
Cursing myself for getting there before the ambulance, i proceeded to explain to "mom" the procedure and then delivered "pink foot".

Delivery went well, baby popping out and gave an almighty cry. The ambulance arrived with a very relieved crew when they realized what they had just missed, and all went to hospital which was a stones throw away.
To make matters worse, as with our indigenous population tradition, the little tyke was given my name as his second "white" name, because he was delivered outside the hospital setting.

so all went well, the baby boy and mom healthy and happy in hospital, and me feeling very humble...

2 comments:

Avril said...

That's very special .... to help a new life into this world.. and he has your name!! Very very special!!

Unknown said...

Oh Carl you are funny :) That's a very special thing to be able to do :) Very cute that the kid has your name now